Saturday 15 June 2013

Chikwawa Pass

Friday morning we got off to an early start to drive to clinic (surprise!), and yet somehow I was still wide awake an hour down the road when we found ourselves stuck behind two giant sugar transporter trucks on the narrow mountain pass (one broke down going down, and the other got stuck trying to get uphill around it). With a pretty steep drop-off on one side, and a narrow, deep ditch on the other side, I thought we might be there all day. So naturally we all got out and Lydia and I embraced the photo op and begin snapping away while the nurses and our driver Vegas talked with other onlookers.


The view from Chikwawa Pass!

Surveying the scene 

The view from Chikwawa Pass truly is one of the most magnificent, grand views in Malawi, so it was a perfect place to get stuck! A crowd gathered, and Vegas decided that he would attempt the impossible – driving sideways in the ditch to get around the trucks. After a minibus got through, we knew Yellow Cruiser could too. Vegas got through without a hitch, and we were on our way. Fun little adventure for 6:45 in the morning.

Lydia and I enjoy the breathtaking view


Clinic went well, and then Friday later afternoon, I headed to the POST OFFICE (the sign is in all caps covering the whole front of the building, super helpful for finding it) and sent four postcards! Mail is one of my favorite things, so if you send me your address, a postcard will be heading your way soon!



I also love getting mail, and my address here is:
Christy C----
Project Peanut Butter
PO Box 32664
Chichiri
Blantyre 3, Malawi



Other highlights this week included the Malawi v Kenya football match (Julie and I were able to make it out to the second half of the match after a long day of clinic and despite a pathetic final score [2-2] it was a lively game), getting to cook one of my all time favorites – Sherri’s Greek Pasta – for my housemates, prepping for the PUFA study which will be launched in the next 2 weeks, and welcoming two new PPB volunteers.


This song sums up how I feel about the first half of my time here quite nicely….and it also plays on the radio here nonstop!

1 comment:

  1. eeeee I see my zip code :) I sent you a letter the other day!!

    ReplyDelete